Tuesday 11 December 2012

Rumours of Mayan 2012 Apocalypse over Dundee quashed.

I was going to file a report of earth shattering news today as I witnessed and photographed a giant chunk being ripped out of the clouds over Tayside. Thinking it may be the rogue planet Nibiru or 'Planet X' which was scheduled to collide with Earth on the 21st December I ran for my camera and recorded some pictures for posterity. A last record for future generations to ponder over.....

Sadly, after googling " big hole in the clouds" (top tip : keep it simple), it turned out to be a 'punch hole cloud' and my scoop turned to dust.

" Punch hole clouds, also known as fallstreak holes are large circular clearings that can appear in cirrocumulus or altocumulus clouds. Such holes are formed when the water temperature in the clouds is below freezing but the water has not frozen yet due to the lack of ice nucleation particles. When a portion of the water does start to freeze it will set off a domino effect causing the water vapor around it to freeze and fall to the earth as well. This leaves a large, often circular, hole in the cloud."

More pics of the non apocalypse. Seems to be two punch holes here. Worse than buses. You wait for years to see one, then they all turn up at once...

Broughty Castle.....which was to be my refuge from the impact of Planet X

Oh by the way we were supposed to get blue skies today with brilliant sunshine. Another FAIL for our 'weather forecasters'.....

3 comments:

  1. Britain is going bust

    Bring on Bob Dylon and the times they are a changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb photies, Monty.

    (I fear the Mayan Apocalypse was visited on Dundee some years ago when that (in)famous cooncil ran the place.)

    Has there been any show of this year's Aurora in Dundee yet? Eh mind watching it fae Balgay Hill some 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi cynical...good link. Terry seems to know what he's talking about. Scary stuff. Will bookmark him for future reference.

    hi Barney..cheers. I took a lot of video as well and will upload when I can figure out how to do it. Let you see Auld Dundee.

    The good old days of dundee cooncil. Mr Farquar etc ;)
    I've not seen the aurora recently. I still remember seeing it in about 1970. A cold frosty November I think it was.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.